Armenia and Georgia: churches and monasteries
Date:05 September 2020 to 18 September 2020
Price:From £3,995 per person with flights (single room supplement £740)
Trip destination:Armenia and Georgia
This is a fascinating time to visit Armenia and Georgia, countries full of culture, beautiful landscapes and ancient sites. The two, newly independent countries, were former Soviet Republics of the USSR and are forging their own identities in the world. Your journey will be accompanied by art historian, Dr Alex Koller, and together you will explore the medieval churches of Mtskheta, the cathedral at Svetitskhoveli, reputed to be the burial site of Christ’s mantle; the Byzantine monasteries of Haghpat and Sanahin; and Yerevan’s Matenadaran Institute, one of the world’s finest museums of ancient manuscripts.
Dr Alex Koller, art historian, University of Cambridge
Alex was a lecturer at Magdalene College, Cambridge, and has been a popular tour leader since 1998.
- Explore Armenia and Georgia in the company of art historian, Alex Koller
- Discover how these two Christian kingdoms withstood the might of the Byzantine Empire
- Explore the medieval churches of Mtskheta
- Visit the 11th century cathedral at Svetitskhoveli, reputed to be the burial site of Christ’s mantle
- Discover the Byzantine monasteries of Haghpat and Sanahin, renowned for their school of illuminators and calligraphers
- Visit the treasury of Tbilisi; Yerevan’s Matenadaran Institute, one of the world’s finest museums of ancient manuscripts; and Lake Sevan, one of the continent’s largest mountain lakes
ACE Cultural Tours
+44 (0) 1223 841055